Vaping is more than just a trend. It’s a healthier alternative to cigarette smoking that’s gaining in popularity as vaping becomes more accessible. There are no long-term harms of vaping, while traditional cigarette smoking leads to lung damage, cancer, and even premature death.
If you’re thinking of trying vaping either as a hobby or an alternative to smoking cigarettes, there’s a lot to learn. E-cigarettes can seem downright intimidating if you don’t know what to expect. Luckily, it’s a lot easier than you think. Keep reading to explore the beginners guide to vaping.
What exactly is vaping?
First, let’s define what vaping is exactly. This is a term that’s given to use of a an electronic cigarette (e-cigarette) or personal vaping device. This is different than a traditional tobacco cigarette. Someone who uses a vape pen or e-cigarette is called a vaper while a cigarette smoker is known as a smoker.
This comes down to the science behind e-cigarettes. Unlike traditional tobacco cigarettes, there is no actual burning of any substances. Instead, there is a lithium battery which heats a wire coal within the e-cigarette. There is then a wick that draws the e-liquid to the heated coal. This liquid vaporizes to create the mist that’s inhaled in vaping.
What’s in e-cigarette liquid or juice? It’s simpler than you think. E-liquid is a combination of propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, and other food flavorings. Some also include lower dosages of nicotine. These sound like complex, intimidating additives, but they’re no different than what you’ll find in the majority of your food today.
What are the parts of a vape?
Now that you know exactly what vaping is, let’s talk about how to choose a vape. Unlike cigarette smoking, you can’t just pick up a pack at any drug store. You’ll need to go to a specialized smoke shop to buy all the parts either together or separately. Here’s a breakdown of the different parts of an e-cigarette:
- Vaping Device – First, you need a vape. These come in a variety of colors and even shapes. Some are discreet and easily fit in a pocket while others are quite large. They all suit the same purpose.
- Battery – As we said before, you need a way to power the device. Most vapes use a lithium battery, and this might be replaceable or chargeable.
- Atomizer – The atomizer is the part that houses the wire coils and wicks.
- Coils – These are the small resistance wires in vapes that look like a spring. This determines the amount of electricity needed to produce vapor, and how hot your vape will get.
- E-liquid – Finally, the e-liquid or e-juice is what you’ll vape. These come in a variety of flavors and nicotine strengths so you can find something that works for you. Vapor juice from Viper Vapor is a great place to start your search.
The good news is that you don’t have to remember all of these individual parts when you’re just getting started. While some people like to have complete control over their vapes, you can start with a beginner option like the JUUL that comes already set up and ready to go.
What are the best vaping tips?
Finally, let’s talk vaping tips so you can start your vaping journey like a pro. Once you get started, you’ll realize these are incredibly simple devices that will make your life easier, especially if you’re used to cigarette smoking.
- Premium E-liquids – First, invest in quality e-liquids. Low-quality liquids might contain unwanted additives that might make you sick. Stick to a reputable manufacturer with food-grade ingredients.
- Shake It Up – Before each use, shake your e-juices to make up the PG/VG and nicotine levels. This makes sure you enjoy the best quality experience every time.
- Avoid Sunlight – Keep your vaping liquid out of direct sunlight. This can cause evaporation and thus increase your nicotine levels.
As long as you take these tips seriously and maintain your e-cigarette, you’re ready to be a pro vapor. You’ll love how efficient and easy to use it is. You’ll likely wonder why you didn’t start earlier, especially if you have a bad habit like cigarette smoking.